Art and Design
Art and Design is an important part of our curriculum, that ensures pupils receive an engaging, enriching and memorable subject matter. It provides creativity, confidence, visual learning and perseverance which can be applied to all parts of the pupil’s learning journey. Art and Design enable pupils to have the opportunity to explore and expand their artistic potential through colour, drawing, painting and craft, whilst learning the key skills and artistic elements of colour, form, line, pattern, texture and tone.
At Westerton Primary Academy, we aim to ensure that pupils will:
- have a deep appreciation for Art and Design and that they have the knowledge of different artists, cultures and styles.
- develop their understanding of different careers including architects, designers and sculptures.
- think critically of the subject, to develop their knowledge and skills, and to progress successfully through these.
- develop a good understanding of the Art and Design curriculum to enable them to problem solve, think imaginatively and work collaboratively through their understanding of the different skills and formal elements of Art and Design.
- develop an artistic vocabulary and be able to discuss the different elements of art and artists.
- use a creative mix of media in their own work and to develop their own artistic style.
- be able to discuss and understand the artwork of many different artists, who show different styles of art in design, sculpture and fashion.
- develop their own style and creativity and know that art can be appreciated in many different forms.
The national curriculum for art aims to ensure that all pupils by Year 6 will:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- use sketch books to evaluate and analyse creative works using language of art, craft and design.
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.